Sunday, January 18, 2015

Such is Life & Death

The Beautiful & The Macabre

Above is a sculpture by Herman Matzen
Not located in any museum, or art gallery. 
 Angel of Death Victorious 
is located in a cemetery.
Also known as the Hazerot Angel.
She is the magnificent marker for the Hazerot family plot.
Isn't she stunning? There is a sense of calm on her face. 
Yet a feeling like her will is unbreakable - on constant guard but without fear. 
I love the cemetery statues. They weather so beautifully. 
She is not holding a sword, it's a torch upside down so the flame is snuffed.
To me there is an odd feeling of a statue being okay with being a statue - if that makes sense. 
This is her job. She is a devoted statue...Matzen has captured this in his creation. 
**************




http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/88624
The City of the Drawers
Being the type of person I am, actually knowing what the painting is about is not all that important at first.
Sometimes not knowing what the artist was depicting is better. 
The first thing you think of when you see a painting is what draws you into it. 
I like things that evoke a certain emotional response ... which is a mix between beauty & sadness.
Or beauty and fear. 
Why? 
How the hell should I know!
Just do.

The painting by Salvador Dali, to me speaks of sadness. 
As if someone was saying - I had nothing to begin with yet you rummaged through me searching for that last bit of hope. Leaving me exposed and empty.


What Dali said - “The only difference between the immortal Greece and contemporary times is Sigmund Freud, who discovered that the human body, purely platonic at the Greece epoch, nowadays is full of secret drawers that only the psychoanalysis is capable to open”.

I like mine better. 
***************


I am not sure what I think of this next painting. 
To me there is not much beauty it in. 
Pain is very prevalent , madness even. 
To be honest I don't really like this one. So why am I adding it?
Because it was never meant to be seen. 
http://www.franciscodegoya.net/

Francisco De Goya painted this on his dining room wall. 
It was not on canvas for all to see. It was not created 'for' anyone. 
The name given to this painting - Saturn Devouring His Son
Goya did not name it. 
This painting was reproduced onto canvas after his death. 
There was no explanation given to this piece. So, what if everyone is wrong and it has nothing to do with the Greek or Roman myth of Saturn eating his male children because it was foretold that one would overthrow him.
Though chances are it is. 
At the same time... the man is eating what appears to be not a baby but an adult. The sex of the human being eaten is also not 100% evident. 
What if it's about a giant evil thing that got off on eating humans?
(Some say that his groin area was blurred during the reproduction and the original may have depicted something a bit more... excited.) 
This was 1 of 14 paintings located on the walls of Goya's house. 
Collectively called The Black Paintings 
I prefer this next one, which is also one of the Black Paintings
 Named, again not by Goya - The Dog
There are a few names seemingly for each piece.
Since there is no actual explanation available from Goya, everything is up for interpretation.
I see a scared little dog, in a great big world. He knows he is sinking but can not save himself. 
He is looking for help. It may come...but in this case we will never know. 

*************


http://weheartit.com/from/monstror.deviantart.com

I can't find the original person who made this - as far as I can find is a deactivated Deviant Art account. 
I shall name this 'Sad Tree'
Because it looks like a tree.. that is sad...
It's 3am..The clever part of me is sleeping. 

All I think about when looking at this image is being stuck. 
Being rooted into something you do not have the ability to get out of.

I found the name of the piece. 
Tree Woman
I like my name better. 
*****************


Above is a still shot from a video called "Danse Macabre"
A short film by Pedro Pires

The film is disturbingly beautiful.
Though the only reason I say disturbing is that we are not suppose to see this stage as beautiful.
It's actually strange, watching as they depict what happens after death. 
The cold reality of the body being cleaned and drained. 
Embalmed and placed into a casket. 
It really is the finally dance. 
The absolute last moments of movement . 
Then everything stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment